Anne W
(Tug) - Another colorful old-timer among Puget Sound tugboats, the Anne W., was also retired by Pioneer Sand & Gravel Co. after many decades of gravel scow towing service. Built in 1913 at Portland as a steamer, the 100-foot vessel marked the transition from stern-wheel to tunnel stern propeller drive for Columbia River towboats. She was later sold to a road contractor who used her for some time hauling gravel scows from Steilacoom to Anderson Island. Gordon Newell, Maritime Events of 1967, H. W. McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest 1966 to 1976, p.XLVIII.
Citation: Tacoma Public Library