The "Blucher" was built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg in 1901 for the Hamburg America Line. She was a 12,334 gross ton ship, length 525.6ft x beam 62.3ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 16 knots. There was accommodation for 390-1st, 230-2nd and 1,550-3rd class passengers. Launched on 23/11/1901, she sailed from Hamburg on her maiden voyage to Boulogne, Southampton and New York on 7/6/1902. Her last voyage on this service commenced on 30/12/1911 and she was subsequently used on the Hamburg to South America route. In August 1914 she was interned at Pernambuco, Brazil and on 1/6/1917 was seized by the Brazilian authorities, who renamed her "Leopoldina". On 11/3/1920 she was chartered to the French company, Compagnie Generale Transatlantique and started her first sailing between New York and Havre. Her passenger accommodation was refitted in December 1920 to carry 500-cabin class and 250-3rd class and she was renamed "Suffren". On 9/5/1923 she commenced Havre - New York sailings and continued on this service until her last round voyage commenced when she left Havre on 22/9/1928. She was then laid up and in 1929 was scrapped at Genoa. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1, p.408] -
Citation: [Posted to The ShipsList by Ted Finch - 22 February 1998]