G. W. Shaver (steamer)
This boat was originally built as the G. W. Shaver by the Peoples Freighting Company in 1889 and later sold to the Shaver Transpor- tation Company when it was incorporated in 1893. She was used as a passenger and freight boat on the Clatskanie run by the Shaver Transportation Company. Later she was sold to The Dalles-Portland Astoria Navigation Co. Then in 1906 she was rebuilt as the Beaver by the Clatskanie Transportation Company. Shaver Transportation Company owned about forty per cent of the stock of the Clatskanie Transportation Company and she continued on this run for some time and then was sold to the Harkins Transportation Co. and they had her on the run to Astoria opposite the Lurline. She was hit by a barge and sunk in Portland Harbor and abandoned by the Harkins Co. She was raised by Nels Gay of the Portland Tug & Barge Co. who sold her to the Hosford Transportation Co. Shaver Transportation Company purchased the Hosford Company and put her on the run between Portland and Umatifla until her loss in
Citation: Tacoma Public Library
G. W. Shaver (steamer)
The finest steamer built on the Willamette in 1889 was the G. W. Shaver, launched at Portland for the People's Trading Company, the name under which the Shavers were operating. The Shaver was constructed to replace the Manzanillo, which had become too small for the Clatskanine trade. She is one hundred and forty-five feet long, twenty-eight feet beam, and five feet six inches hold, with engines sixteen by sixty inches, and was equipped with Turner's steam steering gear, a donkey engine for hoisting freight, and all modern improvements. She was put in commission June 22, 1889 in command of Capt. James W. Shaver, with Henry Pape, engineer, Lincoln Shaver, pilot, and was the best steanier ever operated on that route. She was withdrawn about a year ago and has since been employed on other routes. E. W. Wright, Marine business of 1889, Lewis and Dryden's Marine History of the Pacific Northwest., p. 365.
Citation: Tacoma Public Library
G. W. Shaver (steamer)
The finest steamer built on the Willamette in 1889 was the G. W. Shaver, launched at Portland for the People's Trading Company, the name under which the Shavers were operating. The Shaver was constructed to replace the Manzanillo, which had become too small for the Clatskanine trade. She is one hundred and forty-five feet long, twenty-eight feet beam, and five feet six inches hold, with engines sixteen by sixty inches, and was equipped with Turner's steam steering gear, a donkey engine for hoisting freight, and all modern improvements. She was put in commission June 22d in command of Capt. James W. Shaver, with Henry Pape, engineer, Lincoln Shaver, pilot, and was the best steamer ever operated on that route. She was withdrawn about a year ago and has since been employed on other routes. E. W. Wright, Finest Steamers in the Northwest Appear on Puget Sound Waters, Lewis & Dryden's Marine History of the Pacific Northwest. New York: Antiquarian Press, Ltd., 1961 [This book was written in 1895 and events referre
Citation: Tacoma Public Library