City Of Manchester
The "City of Manchester" belonged to the British owned Inman Line, and was built in 1851 by Tod & McGregor, Glasgow. She was a 2,109 gross ton ship, length 265.3ft x beam 37.5ft, clipper stem, one funnel, four masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 9 knots. Launched on 14th Jun.1851, she left Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Philadelphia on 26th Jul.1851. She started her last voyage on this service on 20th Dec.1854, and in 1855 was chartered by the French and used as a Crimean War transport. She resumed Liverpool - Philadelphia sailings on 3rd Aug.1856, and commenced her last voyage on this route on 6th May 1857. On 24th Aug.1857 she left London for Calcutta as an Indian Mutiny transport and on 22nd Dec.1858 started Liverpool - New York sailings. In 1862, after 48 North Atlantic sailings, she was fitted with new boilers and started her final voyage between Liverpool, Queenstown (Cobh), Halifax and New York on 28th Jan.1871. Later the same year, she was sold, her engines were removed and she operated as a sailing ship until 1876, when she was wrecked. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P. Bonsor, vol.1, p.238-9] -
Citation: [Posted to The ShipsList by Ted Finch - 27 September 1998]
Manchester (grain Vessel)
September 1901 British grain ship went missing off the Columbia. Don Marshall, Missing at Sea, Oregon Shipwrecks. Portland: Binford and Mort, 1984, p. 183-186.
Citation: Tacoma Public Library
Manchester Importer
Built 1899, 4,028 gross tons, owners - Manchester Liners (became part of Furness Lines group). Sold to Greek owners in 1927 and renamed "Alexandra". Scrapped at Venice in 1933.[Sea Breezes Magazine, July 1958] -
Citation: [Posted to The ShipsList by Ted Finch - 2 November 1998]
Manchester Shipper
The "Manchester Shipper" was built by Irvine's Shipbuilding Company, West Hartlepool (engines by W.Allan & Co, Sunderland) in 1899 for Manchester Liners. She was a 4,038 gross ton ship, length 370ft x beam 48ft (112,77m x 14,63m), one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. Launched on 18.11.1899, she was chartered to the French owned Franco-Canadian Steam Navigation Co in 1901 for three voyages. The first was undertaken in October 1901 when she sailed from Dunkirk and Bordeaux for Quebec, arriving on 27th October with 9-1st class and 217 steerage passengers. The following April, she sailed from Christiania (Oslo) to Halifax with 6-1st class and 758 steerage and in June 1902 she sailed from Havre to Halifax with 2-1st class and 233 steerage. In 1930 she was scrapped at Briton Ferry. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P. Bonsor, vol.3, p.1262] - [E-mail from Ted Finch - 20 June 1998]
Citation: