Manhattan (liner)
1932-1953. The Manhattan and the Washington were the two passenger liners of United States Lines (USL) during the 1930s, and they were the first luxury liners built in the United States for service in the North Atlantic since the St. Louis and the St. Paul of 1895. USL, temporarily under the control of Paul W. Chapman, a financial speculator rather than a shipping executive, ordered the Manhattan and Washington as replacements for the larger but overage Leviathan; Chapman expected the two smaller ships to provide a weekly sailing schedule across the North Atlantic, otherwise impossible with the single Leviathan. In a break with previous systems of marine propulsion, the Manhattan and the Washington were fitted with turboclectric drive: the steam turbine moved a generator, whose electricity powered electric motors. Chapman soon went broke, and control of USL passed to the International Mercantile Marine (IMM), which paid the final bills on the construction of the two new vessels. When completed, both ships had
Citation: Tacoma Public Library