Manila (schooner)
Manila, four-masted schooner of 731 tons and 850 M capacity, was built at North Bend, Ore., in 1899 by A. M. Simpson. She was owned by the Pacific Shipping Co., San Francisco, being sold to the Pacific Freighters Co. in 1916. The schooner was sunk by the German raider Seeadler on July 8, 1917, while bound from Syndey to Honolulu with coal.John Lyman, Pacific Coast Built Sailers, 1850-1905, The Marine Digest. June 21, 1941, p. 2.
Citation: Tacoma Public Library
Manila (schooner)
Manila, four-masted schooner of 731 tons and 850 M capacity, was built at North Bend, Ore., in 1899 by A. M. Simpson. She was owned by the Pacific Shipping Co., San Francisco, being sold to the Pacific Freighters Co. in 1916. The schooner was sunk by the German raider Seeadler on July 8, 1917, while bound from Syndey to Honolulu with coal.John Lyman, Pacific Coast Built Sailers, 1850- 1905, The Marine Digest. June 21, 1941, p. 2.
Citation: Tacoma Public Library
Manila (schooner)
The schooner Manila of 1899, Newcastle, May 24 for Honolulu and Portland, was sunk in June by the Seeadler, as was the schooner R. C. Slade of 1900, which departed Sydney April 24 for San Francisco and Portland. Gordon Newell, Maritime events of 1917, H.W.McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest. Seattle: Superior, 1966., p. 293.
Citation: Tacoma Public Library
Manila (schooner)
The four-masted schooners Manila, 731 tons, and Admiral, 683 tons, were built at the Simpson yard in North Bend. Emil Heuckendorff, who was in charge of the yard for A. M. Simpson, completed the Manila and started the second schooner, which was to have been named Aguinaldo, but became involved in an argument with Simpson and quit to establish his own yard at Marshfield. K. V. Kruse was brought in to take charge of the Simpson yard and completed the second vessel, which was launched as the Admiral, the names of both schooners honoring the recent victory of Admiral George Dewey at Manila Bay. Gordon Newell, Maritime Events of 1899, H.W. McCurdy, Marine History of the Pacific Northwest., p. 48.
Citation: Tacoma Public Library