Manuel Calvo
The MANUEL CALVO was built by Sir W. G. Armstrong, Mitchell & Co., Walker-on-Tyne (engines: Hawthorn, Leslie & Co., Newcastle), and launched on 19 October 1891 as the LUCANIA, for MacIver. She never sailed for MacIver, and in 1892 was purchased by Norddeutscher Lloyd (North German Lloyd) and renamed H.H. MEIER, after the founder of the line. 5,140 tons; 128,31 x 14,63 meters (421 x 40 feet; length x beam); straight bow, 1 funnel, 3 masts; steel construction, twin-screw propulsion, service speed 13 knots; accommodation for 75 1st-, 300 2nd-, and 1,000 3rd-class passengers. 27 December 1892, maiden voyage, Bremen-Southampton-New York (46 1st-class, 259 2nd-class passengers). 20 July 1893, first voyage, Bremen-New York-Baltimore. 23 March 1894-26 July 1895, 5 roundtrip voyages, Bremen-South America. 21 September 1901, last voyage, Bremen-New York. 1901, acquired by Compania Transatlantica Espanola and renamed MANUEL CALVO; 5,617 tons; accommodation for 84 1st-, 32 2nd-, and 1,100 third-class passengers. 21 March 1902, first voyage, Genoa-Barcelona-Cadiz-New York-Havana-Vera Cruz. 10 October 1917, sailed Barcelona-Buenos Aires (may have made other South American voyages). 29 March 1919, damaged by mine off Turkish coast when repatriating 400 foreigners (151 lost). May 1931, last voyage, Barcelona-Cadiz-New York-Havana. 1936, laid up at Port Mahon, Minorca. October 1939, sailed for Cadiz; rebuilt as cargo steamer, and placed in service to New York. 1950, laid up at Santander. 1952, became DRAGO (Spanish). December 1959, scrapped in Spain [Noel Reginald Pixell Bonsor, North Atlantic Seaway; An Illustrated History of the Passenger Services Linking the Old World with the New (2nd ed.; Jersey, Channel Islands: Brookside Publications), vol. 2 (1978), pp. 523 and 556-557; vol. 3 (1979), pp. 1248, 1250, 1252, 1256; Bonsor, South Atlantic Seaway; An illustrated history of the passenger lines and liners from Europe to Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina (Jersey, Channel Islands: Brookside Publications, 1983), p. 323.] Pictured in Michael J. Anuta, Ships of Our Ancestors (Menominee, MI: Ships of Our Ancestors, 1983), p. 187, courtesy of the Peabody Essex Museum, East India Square, Salem, MA 01970
Citation: [Posted to the Emigration-Ships Mailing List by Michael Palmer]