Martha S (ferry)
A new steel double - ended automobile ferry, the Martha S., was built in eastern Washington for operation in an area which a few years before had been extremely dry land. The ferry was ordered by the Washington State Highway Department to replace a wooden scow and launch which had previously provided service across Lake Roosevelt, the body of water created by the damming of the Columbia River by Grand Coulee, the world's largest man-made structure. Designed by W. C. Nickum & Sons and built by Hydraulic Supply Mfg. Co- of Seattle, the 12 -car ferry, with a length of 80 feet, beam of 30 feet and draft of six feet, was powered by two 150-horsepower Buda diesels. In normal operation she made use of only one engine, making the threequarter-mile lake crossing in about 10 minutes at a 10-knot speed. The ferry was named for the wife of Clarence B. Shain, director of highways at the time of her launching. Gordon Newell, Maritime events of 1949, H.W. McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest. Seattle: Superior
Citation: Tacoma Public Library