Mathilda Foss (1) (tug)
The Mathilda Foss was built as the Captain Gregory Barnett as a U.S. Army Quartermaster Corps passenger and freight vessel in 1909 by the Willamette Iron and Steel Company of Portland, Oregon. After World War One service she served as a yacht with the name Gordon. Purhcased by Foss in November of 1936 Mathilda served throughout World War II and later returned to log towing. She was eventually sold to Alaska and given the name Roxanne and became a floating dormitory, a cafe and finally a derelict that was sunk in 1978. Michael Skalley, Foss, ninety years of towboating, 1981., p. 95.
Citation: Tacoma Public Library
Mathilda Foss (tugboat)
Michael Skalley, The Mathilda Foss, Foss, ninety years of towboating. Seattle: Superior, 1981, p. 242-244. The MATHILDA FOSS was completed in October 1965 by the Martinolich Shipyard in Tacoma as the SEA QUEEN, for Pacific Towboat Company in Everett. Pacific built her to replace the veteran tug GEORGE W. in Pacific's log-towing service on Puget Sound. With alternate Captains, Tom Crowley and Jerry Biddle, she worked out of Everett for several years towing logs around Puget Sound for pulp mills, sawmills, and logging companies. The SEA QUEEN was also used by Foss-Seattle on barge tows and ship-assists if log towing turned slack. But such was not the case in 1971 during the longshoremen's strike; then the QUEEN had no slack to pick up, not even in her towline...... The Queen became the Mathilda Foss in October, 1974 and was in use when Mr. Skalley wrote his book on Foss. Michael Skalley, The Mathilda Foss, Foss, ninety years of towboating. Seattle: Superior, 1981, p. 242-244.
Citation: Tacoma Public Library