General Miles
Built in Portland in 1882, Gordon Newell, Ships of the Inland Sea, p. 208. Original name for Willapa and later the Bellingham, Norman R. Hacking and W. Kaye Lamb. The Princess Story a century and a half of w p. 340.
Citation: Tacoma Public Library
General Miles (steamer)
A fine wooden steamer built for service on the bar and for the coasting trade was launched at Astoria, June 15th, by the Ilwaco Navigation Company and christened the General Miles. Capt. W. P. Whitcomb was put in charge, with Charles Smith, engineer, both remaining with her until 1889, when she was sold to the Portland & Coast Steamship Company, who lengthened her, renamed her the Willapa, and in command of Capt- L. A. Bailey and John Peterson operated her in the Gray's Harbor trade, with occasional trips to Coos Bay and other coast ports. In 1894 she was leased by the Hastings Steamboat Company and handled by Capt. A. W. Horn, with Herbert Adams and Daniel Fairfield, engineers. In 1895 she was purchased by Capt. George Roberts and Engineer Kent of the City of Kingston, and extensively overhauled and refitted. They are now operating her on the Alaska route. As originally built the Miles was one hundred feet long, twenty-two feet beam, and ten feet hold, with engines sixteen and thirty-two by thirty-two inches
Citation: Tacoma Public Library