Newark (schooner)
The Newark, a two-masted schooner of 120 tons and 175 M capacity, was built at Benicia, Calif., by Turner in 1887 for C. L. Dingley, San Francisco. For some years before the First World War she was owned as an auxiliary schooner by the Monterey Lime Co., and in 1914 was bought by a Monterey sardine packing company and converted to a floating reduction plant. She was later owned iii Los Angeles anti San Diego, and her remains could be seen on the mud in San Pedro harbor 10 years ago. John Lyman,Pacific Coast Built Sailers, 1850-1905,The Marine Digest. July 5, 1941, p. 2
Citation: Tacoma Public Library
Newark (schooner)
The Newark, a two-masted schooner of 120 tons and 175 M capacity, was built at Benicia, Calif., by Turner in 1887 for C. L. Dingley, San Francisco. For some years before the First World War she was owned as an auxiliary schooner by the Monterey Lime Co., and in 1914 was bought by a Monterey sardine packing company and con- verted to a floating reduction plant. She was later owned iii Los Angeles anti San Diego, and her remains could be seen on the mud in San Pedro harbor 10 years ago. John Lyman,Pacific Coast Built Sailers, 1850-1905,The Marine Digest. July 5, 1941, p. 2
Citation: Tacoma Public Library