Nieuw Amsterdam (1)
The Holland-America Line NIEUW AMSTERDAM (1) was built in 1905 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast (order #366), and launched on 28 September 1905. 16,967 tons; 187,4 x 20,9 meters (length x breadth); 1 funnel, 4 masts; twin-screw propulsion (quadruple-expansion engines), service speed 16 knots; accommodation for 440 passengers in 1st class, 246 in 2nd class, and 2,200 in steerage. The NIEUW AMSTERDAM was the last major ocean liner to be fitted with auxiliary sails. 7 April 1906, maiden voyage, Rotterdam-New York. 1908, glass-enclosed upper promenade deck. November/December 1909, refitted by Harland & Wolff: bridge deck extended forwards to enlarge 1st class dining saloon; 17,149 tons; accommodation for 443 passengers in 1st class, 379 in 2nd class, and 2,050 in steerage. 12 December 1918, first voyage after Armistice, Rotterdam-Havre-Brest-New York. May 1926, passenger accommodation altered to 1st, 2nd, tourist, and 3rd class. February 1928, passenger accommodation altered to 1st, tourist, and 3rd class. 2 October 1931, last voyage, Rotterdam-New York. 26 February 1932, sailed Rotterdam-Cape of Good Hope-Osaka; scrapped [Arnold Kludas, Die grossen Passagierschiffe der Welt; eine Dokumentation, Bd. 1: 1858-1912 (2nd ed.; Oldenburg/Hamburg: Gerhard Stalling, c1972), pp. 124-125 (photographs); Noel Reginald Pixell Bonsor, North Atlantic Seaway; An Illustrated History of the Passenger Services Linking the Old World with the New (2nd ed.; Jersey, Channel Islands: Brookside Publications), vol. 3 (1979), pp. 893 (photograph) and 913]. - [E-mail from Michael Palmer - 19 April 1998]
Citation:
Nieuw Amsterdam (2)
The "Nieuw Amsterdam" was built in 1936 by Rotterdamsche Droogdok Mij, Rotterdam for the Holland America Line, she was a 36,287 gross ton ship, length overall 758.5ft x beam 88.3ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 21 knots. There was accommodation for 556-cabin, 455-tourist and 209-3rd class passengers. Launched on 10/4/1937 she left Rotterdam on her maiden voyage to Boulogne, Southampton and New York on 10/5/1938. On 22/9/1939 she commenced her last Rotterdam - New York voyage and between October 1939 and May 1940 was used as a cruise ship from New York. Arriving at New York on 14/5/1940, she sailed to Halifax in September and was converted to a troopship. On 10/4/1946 she returned to Rotterdam after steaming 530,452 miles on war service and between 1946-7 was reconditioned to carry 552-1st, 426-cabin and 209-tourist class passengers. She resumed Rotterdam - Havre - Southampton - New York sailings on 29/10/1947 and was refitted in 1961 to accommodate 574-1st, and 583 tourist class and with a tonnage of 36,982. On 18/1/1962 she resumed Rotterdam - New York crossings, was re-boilered in 1967 and from 1971 was used mainly for cruising. On 17/12/1973 she arrived at Port Everglades from a cruise and on 9/1/1974 sailed for Curacao, Panama, Los Angeles and Kaohsiung, where she was scrapped. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.915] -
Citation: [Posted to The ShipsList by Ted Finch - 28 February 1998]