Niobe
HMCS NIOBE.- former Royal Navy DIADEM class cruiser, she was handed over to the fledgling Royal Canadian Navy on September 6, 1910. She served with the RN from 1898 until that time. NIOBE was nearly lost during the night of July 30-31, 1911 when she went aground off Cape Sable. Subsequent repairs took until the end of 1912 to complete. In the fall of 1914 and another lengthy refit, she joined the RN 4 Cruiser Squadron on contraband patrol off New York. However by July 1915, she was worn out and returned to Halifax on the 17th, never to put to sea again. She was 'paid-off' on September 6th and utilized as a stationary depot ship, secured where the now Jetty 6 of HMC Dockyard stands. HMCS NIOBE was heavily damaged, with her upperworks and superstructure demolished in the explosion of December 6, 1917, but she continued to serve as a depot ship until 1920, when she was sold as scrap and broken up in Philadelphia in 1922. HMCS NIOBE- built by Vickers, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria; launched 20/02/1897; displacement-11,000 tos; dimensions-466' (length), 69' (beam), 26' (draft); max. speed- 15 kt.; max. crew- 677; armament- 2 x 6", 6 x 4", 2 x 3-pdr, 8 x 21" torpedo tubes (2 x quad mounts). -
Citation: [Posted to The ShipsList by Thomas Lynch - 10 April 1998]
Niobe
Barry M. Gough, The Royal Navy and the Northwest Coast, p. 240.
Citation: Tacoma Public Library