Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) About emigration & Immigration
Index of Questions
- What does emigration mean?
- What does Immigration mean?
- What are the index cards for?
- Why are there differences in the passenger lists index cards for different years?
- What kind of info is on each type of index card?
- What are the volume numbers for?
- What are the group numbers/letters for?
- What are the line numbers for?
- What is a ship manifest?
- How do I find the ship manifest?
- What information will I find on a ship manifest?
- Why are the manifests themselves different?
- What type of info on the manifests can be found for different years?
- Why can't I find my ancestors previous date of arrival--it doesn't match the date listed on subsequent entries?
- What is Head-tax Status for?
- What does steerage mean?
- What does Second Cabin mean?
- What color is Chestnut?
- What information will I find on a Captain's log?
- How do I find the Captain's log?
- What does "LPC" on a manifest mean?
- Why was my ancestor's name changed during immigration?
- How do I get a copy of "National Archives Request for Copies of Ships Passenger Records"?
- How do I find the passenger list, if I know the name of the ship my ancestor came on?
- How can I get a picture of the ship my ancestor came to America on?
- Where did the information on the passenger lists come from?
- Did the immigrant present documents to the officials?
- What info was on the passport?
- How were the manifests filled out?
- What instructions did the purser follow to complete the manifests?
Last updated on 24 May 1996.
© 1996 Cimorelli Enterprises